Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Missed my six-generation family reunion...

It's sad that I had missed my six-generation family reunion...

At least, it's posted on NST on-line... terubat skit hati!!!

Jamak clan attends reunion
Kristina George

Datin Kalsom Taib, the daughter of former Federal Land Development Authority chairman Tan Sri Taib Andak, said that 1,550 direct descendants now residing across the nation were identified.

"We formed a committee consisting of 20 family members early this year and met at least 11 times a month to trace our family tree and we were surprised to find that there were many prominent figures within the family," she said.

Among some of the luminaries were former Maybank chairman Tan Sri Datuk Jaffar Hussein and the first woman elected to the Johor state assembly, Datuk Paduka Fatimah Abdul Majid.Kalsom, who was also the first woman to be appointed Malayan Mining Employers Association president, was ecstatic that all six generations of the Jamak, as she calls it, spent time engaging in funfilled activities throughout the day yesterday.

"Some of them had travelled from as far as Johor to come and learn about their family ancestry and it is very touching to see all our efforts paying off," she said.The 700 who attended the event yesterday were entertained by local television personality and fellow family member Mahatir Lokman while they lunched in the dining hall.
Kids ran helter-skelter in the park after being introduced to their many cousins. They also participated in colouring competitions, face painting and were mesmerised by a magic show performed by a clown.
"This is a great way to unite and strengthen a family. "I can't wait for the next reunion to be held," said Kalsom.

On Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak launched a 230-page biography of Kalsom's father titled Taib Andak -- In a Class of His Own that was written by her.

6 comments:

Lizamurni Lokman said...

Hazel,

Wow, you are actually part of that clan, huh...cool...
Which side? your arwah dad or mum?

I'm sure you'll get to join them during the next gathering...

Rozana Abdul Ghafar said...

Salam Elin. Was wondering whether you were there or not. hmmmm, next time insyaAllah. Take care n see ya....

MEGA RIYADI said...

Susan gives comment..

w-o-w, what a big family you have. six generation.. I wonder how many members are they ?
I bet you won't be lonely with your big family.

hazel said...

Yupe, it's one HUGE extended family! There are 1550 of us identified so far and the figure is growing fast...

Dikny, this is on my late father's side...semua keturunan Bugis ni. My dad kan from Muar, Johor.

I didn't know that I'm related to some of the 'big shots'. I know one of my eldest cousin, Abg Loq (Dato Seri Farouk Abdullah, CEO of KAB Group) is married to Kak Lola (Raja Eleena), daughter of Sultan Azlan Shah... But the rest, Tan Sri Taib Andak, Datin Khalthom...Mahathir Lokman etc. I tak pernah tau smp skg. Wish my dad were still here....
I wonder how to get to know all 1550 of my family members...

Zana, you went right? Tell me how it went okay? What was it like to gather in a HUGE group that you know are actually our relations?

Susan, thanks for the comment...yupe never feel lonely. In fact, I'm the type of person who never feels lonely even though I'm alone. Because I know He is always there for me...alhamdulillah!

Unknown said...

OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!! We're related!! I remember asking you when we were at school where your family was from. And I think you said Jalan Othman in Muar but your dad had passed away. So I didn't ask any further. I asked because our dads had the same name spelt the same way.

I'm from the Andak branch of the Jamak clan. Tan Sri Taib's my grandfather. I'm an Andak 4. We all had tags to show which branch and generation we come from. Which branch are you from? I was there....you should have come. We're cousins!!!

I hope you make it to the upcoming BBGS meet up (will be at my house). Datanglah as it's also my second daughter, Sophia's aqiqah....you're family!.

hazel said...

Melina!!! OMG... We are? I still can't believe it! You went for the reunion, right? How was it? How did it feel being with so many relatives? 700 right?
I'm also Andak 4th generation...do you have the book with you? I think my grandmother, Hamidah binti Andak is your grandfather's sister...correct me if I'm wrong.
How long will you be in Malaysia? I'm staying in JB at the moment, but I might go back for New Year. Tak sure lagi.. What's your contact no here? Jom la jalan JB...dtg rumah I.
Take care, cousin!